Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Hypothesise and Research

Formulating a hypothesis is a crucial step in the teaching inquiry process. It provides direction and clarity, helping me focus my investigation and ultimately improve my teaching practices. By following the steps outlined below, I can create a strong, testable hypothesis that will guide my inquiry and lead to meaningful insights into your educational practice.
Remember, the goal of a hypothesis is not just to find answers, but to foster a deeper understanding of my teaching methods and their impact on my students. 

The steps that I followed to formulate my hypothesis were as follows:

1. Identify the Problem or Question in my teaching practice for Reading.

2. Conduct Preliminary Research by gathering information related to my question. 

3. Defining my Variables by identifying the independent and dependent variable. The independent variable is what I will change, while the dependent variable is what I will measure or observe.

4. Formulate my Hypothesis

As such I came up with three hunches that I have learnt so far about my students and the learning environment.

Given the observed challenges with inference questions and completion of tasks, there may be a need for more focused instruction or practice sessions targeting inference skills to enhance comprehension.

Based  on my observation I came up with this Hunch:

1. If I provide more focused instruction and practice inference skills, then they will be motivated to read more.

Secondly, the observed shyness in some students when reading aloud or sharing ideas could indicate a lack of confidence in their reading abilities. Implementing strategies to build confidence, such as peer support or small group activities, may help alleviate this issue.

Based  on my observation I came up with this Hunch:

2. If I implement strategies such as peer support or small group activities, then there will be more student engagement and participation during reading sessions, as well as a boost in confidence among students who are not so confident to read aloud or share their ideas.

Thirdly, the tendency of some students to guess answers during assessments rather than reading the entire text suggests a possible struggle with sustained attention or reading stamina. Incorporating activities or strategies to improve reading fluency and stamina, such as timed reading exercises or a gradual increase in reading durations, may be beneficial.

Based  on my observation I came up with this Hunch:

3. An emphasis on timed reading exercises and a gradual increase in reading durations will enhance my students' reading stamina.


Here is my SLT Voice:


1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Sandhya, I like how you are very precise with your hunches and also how you have included the Senior Leadership Team Voice. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete