Saturday, May 20, 2023

My findings about the Nature and Extent of the Student Challenge!

The challenge for my students this year is to make an accelerated shift in Reading by being more culturally visible and making use of prior knowledge that will boost confidence and capability in Reading. 


One of the significant challenges my priority group is facing is the inability to connect ideas in a text, lack of concentration during reading, needing more prior knowledge and most importantly understanding the meaning between the lines.


How to overcome these challenges?


I am trying to incorporate different ideas and thinking strategies such as Reciprocal Teaching ( Tuakana Teina), more scaffolding and providing opportunities for an extended discussion of the text. 

Some of the strategies that I have already started working on it are : 

  • More structured lessons - I have made some changes in my Reading Plan such as using multimodal planning. 


  • Activating prior knowledge

  • Explicit teaching like using small steps to allow students to understand and practise.

  • Choosing texts and activities that are appropriate and matched to their level of ability.

  • Collaborative learning - I am trying to incorporate more peer learning.

  • I am working on my feedback as well, trying to be more explicit.

I actually created a Workbook to keep a record of the texts and the reflections.


No comments:

Post a Comment